Monday, February 11, 2013

Winter White Deco Dress


I made this little dress for Avery,  for Delia's Winter Whites series. Though the series is called "Winter Whites", it includes soft colors and neutrals, so I think this fit the bill. This dress was inspired by a square on a quilt I found at an antique store and fell in love with. I'm not sure how old it is, but a lot of the fabric looks sort of 1930's or 40's.

 

 It's funny how everything old becomes new again. I love the black and white graphic print paired with peach. And it's so on trend right now isn't it? I really wanted to make something with that print so I did my best to recreate it in Illustrator and had it printed though Spoonflower. Mine isn't quite as wonderful as the original, but I think it captures the feeling. I called the dress, "Art Deco Inspired" because I think the geometric shapes and repeating lines on this print look sort of Art Deco, but I'm not sure that's a totally accurate description. But, "Vaguely 30's or 40's Print Inspired Dress" just didn't have the same ring. The style of the dress is definitely more 40's or 50's. I used a New Look (6309) pattern for most of the dress, and then drafted and added the turned up cuff to echo the collar.


I love when people ask me to guest post (although I sadly have to say no a lot because I just can't find time!) because its the only time I ever get any of the sewing projects in my head finished. But I'm a terrible guest-poster! I meant to do a little tutorial for the sleeve cuffs, but just didn't get it done in time. 


I have mad respect for all the folks who maintain sewing and craft blogs. They are super labor intensive, and I just don't know how they do it. I love making things, and I love sharing about it when I can get my act together, but I think we've established that that doesn't happen with any consistency right? Anyway, its fun to be included for time to time in some of those wonderful creative and consistent spaces. Thanks Delia.

25 comments:

  1. Ok I know for a fact you've heard this before because you've said so, but she actually looks like a porcelain doll! Sheesh she's lovely! Fantastic dress, any tips on keeping piping even? Mine seems to always get a bit wavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I actually bought a piping foot so that helps a ton. Otherwise, if I have a section where I haven't sewn quite close enough to the piping, I just sew over that section again till it looks right. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Haha yeah that was my question too - how do you get your piping so perfect? ;) Love this dress, happy you sewed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just burstin' my buttons at your talents. Love everything about this dress, especially the repurposing. And the second to last picture of A's baby arm and dimpled hand--took my breath away. That little peek of blonde curl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang it. I reread the post. I thought you made an old quilt into a new dress, but it sounds like you somehow recreated the fabric using computer wizardry? I can barely keep up with you younguns! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes I recreated the fabric and had it printed. I know I live her little hands. Still baby hands.

      Delete
  5. Danielle - this dress is just beautiful! I swear you make me swoon with all of your creations. Adore this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved LeAnn's comment about Avery's baby arm and dimpled hand. I was thinking the same thing and I am glad she said!mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is fabulous, Avery is so cute, you are amazing...and, sigh, I miss you guys!

    But seriously, in love with this dress! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the SAME way about "running" a blog. Sometimes I wish I had a co-host to keep it going, but I think when I don't give myself such high expectations and just be myself, then I'm happiest. It's just not about the numbers for me. It's about the journey and I wish I had more time to read blogs and do more, but we can only do so much and be sweet mamas, too! I already think too much about seiwng and blogging anyways! haha!

    But to this creation, I'm amazed at you, my friend! It's perfect and sweet and so pretty on her! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb as usual. Still waiting to see those factory scraps show up in something ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful! I just love your talent, the fabric you've created is gorgeous. I'm an Art Deco girl at heart! so it really speaks to me. It sort of reminds me of a Denyse Schmidt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this dress. You always have great color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You. are. amazing. Danielle.
    Seriously. I love everything you make. You have impeccable taste and every creation is immaculately detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous dress!! You make the most beautiful clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful collar! And neat sleeve detail.


    robutton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete


  15. Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!





    Decoding Services

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for another fantastic posting. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a speech next week, and I was looking for more info.
    play y8.com, juegos y8, y8 girl, y8 2 players, y8 car

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have impeccable taste and every creation is immaculately detailed. dragracerv3game.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...